Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tale of Two Wolves

Those who know me or have seen me at races know I designed my logo as a wolf running. Why? Well I've been obsessed with them since i was a small boy and first learned about the un-domesticated dog. The other reason was perhaps re-sparked when i read this Indian folk tale in an article in a Maine newspaper years ago. I've found in the past few months i've been "feeding" the wrong wolf. This past week of a 5 day thru-hike helped me see this.


"I too, at times, have felt great hate for those who have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It's like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times. "

"It is as if there are two wolves inside me; one is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way."

"But...the other wolf... ah! The littlest thing will send him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all of the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger, for his anger will change nothing."

"Sometimes it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather ?"

The Grandfather smiled and quietly said, "The one I feed."


Stay tuned for so many race reports that I've outlined but never finished, photos and stories that I've taken/experienced but never shared, and ideally, a strong return to the ultra-running community this September at Pisgah and the VT50!

No comments: