Friday, June 4, 2010

May Recap

(White Arrow Trail climb up Monadnock)

"...being 1 year older, 1 year slower, can i do it again? Can i go further? Will i actually ever walk away from one of these things with a buckle?"

All questions i took into the Month of May. Answers, No, Yes, Maybe?


May was a blur. The first weekend was very relaxing, we got to take the boats out for the first time of the season. It was great to just float around. I'm looking forward to the summer break in my running season to be able to enjoy the water more this year.
The second weekend Dustin and I decided to attack the Wapack Trail. Loni was to run in the E2E 21 mile race. We determined that it wouldn't be hardcore enough. So with 20-30 pound packs on, we hiked it South to North...in the pouring rain. After 12 hours and with darkness around the corner the sun finally poke through and warmed us on the final peak. We made it the full 21 miles, in pushing 14 hours.
Week three brought another trip down to MMT. And yet again, another DNF rock. I tried to take away the positive as i DID make it 68.7 miles fighting a chest cold. Which left me bedridden for over a day and unable to run for the following week.
(me, skeptical? never)
Then the craziest 10 days of the year to date. A trip up to Vermont for my Buddy's wedding where i had fulfill my Best Man duties. I had been dreading the speech for almost a year, but managed to get through it and even got some laughs. From there it was hurry home and pack as Loni and I were on a 5 day backpacking adventure up the MS Greenway again. The weather was hot, really hot, RECORD BREAKING hot. The heat, the Tuesday night bear visit, and the views were spectacular from the peaks. When Dustin and I had hiked this last year, it seemed like each peak had been in the clouds. Sadly, i had gotten the news that my Pepe had passed and I (along with 5 of my cousins) were to be a pall bearers. Luckily i was able to get off the trail in time and partake in the ceremony. I still stand by that it was one of the hardest things I've had to do to date.

From there it was pack up the truck, Get Leah and lend her the truck, Get Loni out of the woods, pack the car, and drive 150 miles north into Maine to camp with my best buds. Run a barefoot 5k, drink a lot of beer, BBQ, and run a 50k. Then pack up camp and head home in hopes to beat the southbound traffic on I-95. Phew. This was hard enough to write, never mind live.
All in all. I'm really happy that i'm taking the summer off. I keep getting RD emails, and trail series updates, but i couldn't be more excited to almost be done and have time to relax. This weekend (June 5th) is the Pittsfield Peaks 54 Miler. I feel like I've got the residual fitness to be able to get out of there before dark this year. But we'll see how things go with Dad. I'm really excited to have Steve out there with us too. Ideally it'll be a perfect way to wrap the first half of the season in true Team Robert fashion. ~catch ya on the trails~


Book List:

Still more started, non completed. The List of books on my read list continues to grow, and probably will as the weather gets nicer


By The Numbers:
Miles Run: 123.9
# of Runs: 4
Average Miles: 30.9

Month Starting Weight: 172 Lbs
Month Ending Weight: 172 Lbs
Weight Change: 0lbs

Race Results:

Massanutten 100 Miler - 68.7 Miles - 24 Hours - DNF Pineland Farms Barefoot 5k - 26.10 Pineland Farms 50k - 6:16:22

Upcoming June Events:
Peak 54

No comments: