Friday, April 24, 2009

I Run Therefore...REVIEW

I Run Therefore I am – NUTS
Bob Schwartz

I have to say I really enjoyed this book. It’s a very quick read. It is a compilation of 47 short stories that are broken down into 10 separate categories. From Training to Marathon-ing this book covered the gamete of running subjects. One of the big reasons I picked up the book was on the back cover it stated, “Bob Schwartz is the Dave Barry of running …” and it did not disappoint. Sure, perhaps you won’t learn any tricks on taking a few precious minutes off your time to qualify for Boston, but if you want a light hearted book that will make you smile throughout. And in several cases, probably make you blush, pick up this book.

My favorite part of the book was the runners 10 commandments. Commandment 5 seemed appropriate to follow specifically for ultra running.

“You shall not lose your poise or lose sight of your expected pace because of the excitement and adrenaline rush of the race. For to do so would assure you a rendezvous in the unforgiving valley of exhaustion, where darkness and discomfort shall follow you for all the miles of your race, and you will dwell in the house of agony for what seems like forever.”

No comments: